Did you have the decision made and they have now made a counter offer for you to stay?
Thinking is easy.
Acting is difficult.
Acting as you think is the hardest thing of all!
Let’s think well!
Why did you decide to leave? Will what they are offering you to stay directly compensate that reason?
If we only talk about money surely yes, but in most cases many other variables come into play:
- “I have a bad relationship with my bosses and I do not share the way they see things.”
- “I am professionally stuck, I feel that I am no longer learning and I can not grow internally either.”
- “There is a lot of instability in the company, there is rotation and they are saying goodbye to colleagues. This sucks!!”
- “There’s a bad atmosphere, when Monday comes, I’m too lazy to go to work.”
- “My opinion is never taken into account and I do not feel useful.”
- “Every time they give me more tasks and I keep getting paid the same.”
- “They promised me more responsibility and I’m still here.”
- “I do not stop doing” extra “hours and they never compensate me.”
- etc etc…
It is unlikely that everything will change overnight, except if it is only an economic issue, don’t you think?
Looking at it from the other perspective, are you clear why they want you to stay?
- Finding a substitute can be more expensive.
- They do not have time to hire and train another person.
- They want to have the position covered while they look for your replacement.
- They want to finish the project you are working on.
- They fear a chain reaction from the rest of the team.
- They are afraid that you will go to the competition.
It is normal that it makes you feel unique and essential but the real reason for a counteroffer is usually another: “you leaving is a headache.“
Of course, if you agree to stay, you can not ignore that your loyalty to the company will be called into question, that your peers will see you with different eyes and that they will even think more before promoting you.
Ladies and gentlemen, the statistics speak for themselves! 80% of employees who accept a counteroffer leave the company in less than 6 months! And what is even more incredible, 93% will be leave before a year and a half!
Will you think more the next time you receive a counteroffer?
If you end up staying, it’s because you’re passionate about what you do!
Life is too short to be in the wrong job!