The key to retaining the most sought-after talent: the emotional salary
One of the scourges experienced by companies in the IT and digital sector is, without a doubt, the high turnover of talent. For this reason, in order to minimize the flight of professionals, human resources departments must focus on the satisfaction and motivation of their teams.
We are facing the first generations of workers who do not choose their work only for the salary, but they value other aspects and always opt for the one that can compensate the most: the one that offers flexible hours, the one that is next to home, the one that allows you to work remotely, the one that pays you a health insurance, the one that allows you to innovate, etc etc …
However, and although some defend it, it would be a big mistake to think that the best way to motivate and compensate a worker is only money. We all know that it is a factor because we do not live off air, but, from my point of view, those people who put a price on everything are those who do not value anything. So, for everyone else: emotional salary!
The emotional benefit is the set of all those non-monetary “little extras” that, as a rule, help teams work more at ease and be more productive.
Today, these are the most popular and the most important in the national technological field:
- Timetable with some flexibility
- Telecommuting when necessary
- Constant training in such a changing environment
- Opportunity for growth and participation in decision making
- “Extra days” in case of paternity / maternity leave
It is also commonplace to offer medical insurance, discounts at sports centres or restaurant / childcare tickets, although they do not really have as much influence on the final decision of the candidate.
But … why not sit down with someone responsible for the marketing of your company and exchange some impressions on how to build a differentiation strategy based on emotional benefits? Don’t you think that most organizations look out a lot and not so much inwards? There is a phrase that makes a lot of sense and that very few companies follow:
“Treat your employees exactly how you want them to treat your best customers”
Do not forget that workers will be the first to project the image they perceive of their own organization. If from the beginning we do it badly, we will provoke an accumulation of rumours that later will be very difficult to counteract.
In short, offering an original emotional benefit and which is in tune with your values can help you to position the brand, attract talent and generate more impact (more word of mouth):
- Why not give a trip with Waynabox to the department that reaches its objectives? Discover your destiny 48 hours before!
- Why not offer two weeks paid leave to those who have the illusion of going abroad to develop volunteer activities and have completed 5 years in the company?
- Why not reach an agreement with one of the apps that work best and give a package of hours for a “babysitter” for children?
- Why not invite motor enthusiasts to extreme driving courses? And dads / mums to a healthy cooking course?
- Why not give away Jeff’s bonuses, for example, so that the youngest can receive washed and ironed clothes in their homes?
- Why not give a wedding planner to someone who gets married?
- Why not make it easier for everyone to go to the office in an eco-mode of transport?
- Co-payment of an electric scooter or bicycle
- Pay ecooltra minutes
In addition to all the previous examples, there are countless options, as many as your ingenuity is able to develop. To get it right and choose the actions that best fit, it is only necessary to ask them and thus know what their interests and concerns are.
Aligning the mission, vision and values of the company with the workers will help us to seduce them and to create a motivated, happy and productive team.